One of the last truly antebellum houses built in Charleston, 9 Limehouse Street is situated on the west side of peninsula Charleston just south of Tradd Street on lands included on the Grand Model of Charles Town granted in 1681 to its original owner, Joseph Oldys.
In 1700, the property conveyed to the Marshall sisters, Elizabeth and Catherine who in turn sold it to Benjamin de le Consiellere. The Limehouse family, for whom the street is named, purchased the property in 1799 and farmed it until 1851 when it was sold by its heirs as residential property.
During the years of 1856 and 1857, William Pinckney Shingler, for whom the house is named, purchased five lots on which he built this existing home. The tract measured 180 feet by 105 feet and is still intact today as a result of the current owner’s father placing the property in a conservation easement. It remains as the single largest residential lot in downtown Charleston. Shingler, a businessman and a rice planter, was reputed to be one of the largest and most handsome men on Broad Street, Charleston’s Wall Street, and the scale and decoration of this house reflect his personality. The home as an outstanding example of the romantic Greek Revival style of architecture adapted to the Charleston climate.